11 Oct 2010

Dr Livingstone, I presume?

Well, perhaps not quite up to Livingstone's explorations but in between working on the various projects that Dad wants to take forward (amazing energy for someone approaching 82!) and spending some time with him, which is fantastic, I have had a few opportunities to go out exploring the Buea area on foot – this is peculiar because rich people here are supposed to go everywhere by car.

My favourite trip so far was an excursion up the slopes of Mount Cameroon behind the house.  Having walked to some nearby villages, curiosity got the better of me and I struck off into the forest that runs around the mountain behind the house. This is genuine thick rain forest – in fact the other side of the mountain is the second wettest place on earth (after somewhere in India), wetter even than Manchester.

I was told that the path led to a neighbouring village but the path soon ran out.  Nevertheless my persistence (hacking through the undergrowth which has thrived in the rains and climbing over fallen trees) was rewarded when, having ascended quite a way up the mountain, I found a path heading across and down which eventually led me to the village of Likoko Membea passing a few tree-fellers (not ideal from a rainforest conservation perspective).

Quite relieved to see civilsation (it was nearly dark as I had unwisely left quite late and without torch) and to have got out of the forest, I was beaming like David Bellamy emerging from the bushes.  I was soon met by a young lady with her daughter who asked me if I was from the forest? When I said I was from London she displayed good knowledge of the main differences between London and Likoko, the principal ones being they have a mountain but we have a lot more chicken to eat (it is surprisingly expensive here). Having been taught a few words of Bakweri language I made it back to the house via the road just before night fell.